Five Paul Laurence Dunbar High School students were sickened Monday after consuming an unidentified substance, Baltimore City Public Schools officials said. Three of the students were taken to hospitals for treatment, and have been released. Two were taken home by parents.

Baltimore City Public Schools spokeswoman Sherry Christian described the “traumatic” and “scary” scene that unfolded Monday during the school’s lunch hour.

Dunbar principal Dr. Yetunde Reeves was notified that a student had collapsed. Within minutes, she received word that a second student had collapsed, and a short time later, she was told a third student had collapsed, Christian said.

The school is still looking into what exactly the students ingestedand where the students obtained it, Christian said. The school’s specialized services team is “turning this into a lesson, providing resources and education and information for students, staff, and family about the risk of ingesting anything not knowing what it is,” she said.

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Disciplinary measures are also possible.

“We have to see if any code of conduct was violated,” she said.

Baltimore City Fire Department spokesperson Kevin Cartwright said a medic unit was dispatched to the school in the 1400 block of Orleans Street about 12:35 p.m. after a call came in about a 15-year-old female who “was believed to have overdosed on an edible.”

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

This story may be updated.

penelope.blackwell@thebaltimorebanner.com

liz.bowie@thebaltimorebanner.com