A Baltimore Ravens fan who suffered a traumatic brain injury and spent almost two weeks in a medically induced coma after being assaulted during a game in 2016 at M&T Bank Stadium has reached a settlement in a lawsuit he filed against the team.

Joseph Bauer, 61, of Jessup, and his wife, Sharon, filed the lawsuit in 2019 in Baltimore Circuit Court, alleging that the team failed to provide adequate security and that the attack negatively affected their marriage. The complaint contained counts of negligence, premises liability and loss of consortium.

Circuit Judge Lawrence P. Fletcher-Hill presided over the case. The terms of the agreement were not contained in the court file, though there was a handwritten note that read, “Case reported as settled.”

Neither Bauer nor his attorney, Paul Bekman, could be reached on Thursday. Meanwhile, the Ravens reported that both sides are working on a resolution to the litigation but that it will not publicly comment on the case.

“Creating an environment that provides all fans with a safe and enjoyable experience at M&T Bank Stadium has always been — and will continue to be — our top priority,” said Chad Steele, senior vice president of communications for the Ravens, in a statement.

“We remain committed to providing a gameday experience where all fans treat each other with respect,” he added. “We continue to wish Mr. Bauer and his family well.”

Bauer and his wife were season ticket holders at the time and went to the game against the Oakland Raiders with several friends on Oct. 2, 2016.

The lawsuit claimed that Raiders fans are “notorious for being some of the most aggressive and rowdy fans among the NFL teams.” The team has since moved to Las Vegas.

During halftime, Bauer and other members of the group left to go to the concession area so his wife could buy a glass of wine. That’s when he first encountered Andrew Nappi and Scott Smith, the lawsuit asserted, and they started talking in “what seemed at first like harmless fun.”

In the fourth quarter, Bauer and his friend went to leave the game and ran into a group of six to eight Raiders fans near the top of a ramp. The contingent included Nappi and Smith.

They were “clearly intoxicated” and immediately started “verbally assaulting” them, the lawsuit alleged. Later, Smith shoved Bauer, and Nappi punched him in the jaw. He fell backward and his hit head on the concrete.

Bauer was taken to the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland and placed in a medically induced coma for about two weeks, the lawsuit stated. Doctors reported that he had a 30% chance of survival.

Though he underwent months of “significant, grueling, and intensive care and treatment and rehabilitation,” Bauer is unable to work and requires continuous care and treatment, the lawsuit alleged. Court documents state that he has racked up more than $177,600 in medical bills.

Coach John Harbaugh addressed the assault after the game during a postgame interview, stating that what happened was “absolutely inexcusable.”

“Whatever security has to be out there and whatever has to be done will be done because this is just not what we’re about. We are not going to have that at M&T Bank Stadium,” Harbaugh said. “Our prayers are with Joe and his family, and our thoughts are with him. We’ll be pulling for him.”

The Ravens denied liability in court documents, noting that it contracts with S.A.F.E. Management for event staffing and reporting that 342 security guards were positioned throughout the stadium during the game. That’s in addition to more than 170 law enforcement officers from the Baltimore Police Department and Maryland State Police.

The team filed a complaint against S.A.F.E. Management and the Maryland Stadium Authority.

“No evidence exists to support an argument that the Baltimore Ravens could have or should have been able to prevent the brief altercation,” said James Andersen, the Ravens’ attorney, in court documents. “The undisputed evidence in this case shows that the assault was not foreseeable and not preventable,” he later added.

He said it was “unreasonable to expect that law enforcement and security staff be everywhere all the time at a sporting event.”

Andersen could not be reached.

Nappi, 37, of Eastchester, New York, entered an Alford plea to second-degree assault and was sentenced to one year, with all time suspended, plus 18 months of probation. The Alford plea means he did not admit guilt but acknowledged that prosecutors had enough evidence to secure a conviction.

Meanwhile, Smith, 36, of Mount Vernon, New York, entered an Alford plea to second-degree assault and received a sentence of probation before judgment.

“What took place while families and friends attempted to continue their day watching a football game was inexcusable,” State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said in a statement at the time. “I hope that the perpetrators of this reckless act learn from this incident, and the victim and his family find solace in the fact that the perpetrators were held accountable.”

Read more: