The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed overnight Tuesday, creating a search and rescue mission and state of emergency in Maryland.

The collapse of the 1.6-mile bridge on Interstate 695 appeared to have severed access to the Port of Baltimore and will snarl traffic in the surrounding area.

The Maryland Transportation Authority said to avoid the southeast corridor of I-695 and listed I-95 and I-895 as alternate routes.

Specifically, the Outer Loop is closed at MD 10 (which is Exit 2), and the Inner Loop is closed at MD 157/Peninsula Exp (which is Exit 43).

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Vehicles transporting hazardous materials, which are not permitted in tunnels, should use the western section of I-695 to avoid the tunnels.

The Maryland Department of Transportation’s Maryland Transit Administration said there is no change to the commuter bus routes but listed more than 30 local bus routes that are affected.

Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg said Tuesday morning that he has spoken with Gov. Wes Moore and Mayor Brandon Scott to offer support and urged people to follow local guidance for traffic advisories.

This story may be updated.

Cody Boteler is a reporter on The Banner’s Express Desk, reporting on breaking news, trending stories and interesting things in and around Baltimore. His work has appeared in The Baltimore Sun, USA TODAY, Baltimore magazine and others.

More From The Banner