A Randallstown High School football player suffered a medical emergency during practice Tuesday afternoon and later died at a local hospital.

Baltimore County Public Schools spokeswoman Gboyinde Onijala said the system is not providing further details about the incident but confirmed that an athletic trainer was there at the time and “staff on site did immediately begin to render aid until emergency medical services personnel responded.”

The school did not identify the student.

In a letter sent to parents Wednesday, Randallstown principal Michael Jones wrote, “It is with great sadness that I inform you of the untimely passing of a Randallstown High School student. The student unfortunately experienced a medical emergency and was transported to the hospital where he later passed away.”

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Detectives from the Baltimore County Police Department responded to the call at the school at 6 p.m. Wednesday, according to police spokeswoman Joy Stewart. The Maryland medical examiner’s office will perform an autopsy, she said.

Randallstown football coach Marvin Davis declined to provide any additional details about the student when reached Thursday morning.

“At this time, the family would not like any further information issued,” Davis said via text.

Baltimore County Public Schools’ Traumatic Loss Team will be at the school Thursday to provide counseling to students.

Last Friday, Mervo senior Jeremiah Brodgen was shot and killed as the school day ended, just hours before Mervo’s season opening home game against Edmondson. The game was postponed. Randallstown is scheduled to play at Owings Mills Friday afternoon.

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

The Fredrick News-Post also reported that a Winters Mill High School football player collapsed during a game on Friday. He had to be treated on the field using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, chest compressions and a defibrillator, and was flown to Shock Trauma. His condition is improving, the News-Post reported.

This story was updated to say the student died on Tuesday, not Wednesday.



Banner staff writer Taylor DeVille contributed to this story.

More From The Banner