Baltimore-area residents reported feeling the tremble of a 4.8-magnitude earthquake detected Friday morning in New Jersey.

The U.S. Geological Survey website confirmed that an earthquake was detected in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, around 10:30 a.m. The quake was reportedly felt in areas of New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Amtrak said it was implementing speed restrictions throughout the Northeast until tracks could be inspected for damage.

View post on Twitter

Earthquakes are less common on the East Coast and are typically considered mild. A small earthquake was reported near Rockville in January. One of the most widely felt earthquakes in U.S. history took place in 2011, when a 5.8-magnitude earthquake was detected near Mineral, Virginia. No fatalities were reported in that quake, though it did cause an estimated $200 million to $300 million in property damage.

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

The quake comes days after a cargo ship crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge, causing it to collapse. The March 26 disaster shook homes and buildings in some portions of Baltimore City and county.

Jackie Washington got an “eerie,” unsettling feeling midmorning when her home office started to shake.

”I thought it was the rest of the bridge collapsing,” said Washington, a developer who lives in Federal Hill.

”I felt the shaking, and it reminded me of the event of last week,” she said. “I realized it was an earthquake and went on social media to confirm my suspicion.”

Bobby Giese, an Upper Fells Point resident, was driving when the earthquake hit New Jersey on Friday. He said that due to the number of potholes in the road, everything felt normal.

The Baltimore Banner thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Authorities overseeing the Key Bridge response said the earthquake did not impact salvage operations taking place Friday. Baltimore City leaders are expecting a visit from President Joe Biden in the afternoon.

This is a developing story.

Baltimore Banner reporters Emily Sullivan and John-John Williams IV contributed to this report.

More From The Banner